Ah, what a lovely weekend this was. First, I got to stuff my face and hang out with the Kellys, who were preparing for the latest in our 4-wedding year. My uncle Matt got married in Portland at St. Patrick's in Portland, an old church, very draughty and echo-y. I was wearing heels that made my feet feel like they were being slowly turned inside out, but they did look foxy.
The whole family was there, including a lot of second cousins. We all walked up to this stone church in our finery, all hugging and putting arms around each other. We're a touchy family. The ceremony was ... nice. It had a lot of the basic catholic elements: I-say-this, you-say-that; standing-kneeling-sitting; shaking hands. The priest, an old family friend (Father Ron) was aware that most in our family are no longer practicing catholics (in fact, he and my mother are like to tease each other a bit about their respect beliefs/lack of belief) and so he toned down the holiness and focused on Matt and Anne's wedding. I was a little sad when he was giving communion and only a handful of people took it - we've really got very few catholics in the family any more. I got blessed (crossed arms - like Lauren, I do not eat christ anymore) and so did most people.
What I thought was more interesting was talking with my dad's cousin, Hal, at the reception. Hal's a Baha'i, and I have always been told he's a "socialist" and all kinds of mysterious, romantic things. He moved, with his four children and wife, to Norway many years ago. He has returned to the U.S. (and is now living in Grants Pass - not so romantic) but his children have remained in Norway. Hal and I spoke about Baha'i, about Lauren and I trying out churches, and so on. Hal thinks that Baha'i is the next step for mankind - that religions guide society at particular times and places, and that Baha'i is the religion for today. Also, other religions will follow - Baha'i isn't some kind of end-all truth, but that prophets come from God and are like mirrors, reflecting God to the extent that we as a society can handle it. He's going to get us in touch with local Baha'is, but he said they're not really into organized gatherings so much - it's more of a personal journey. I'm intrigued by them people, who seem to be very educated and open-minded and full of goodness. We'll see, I suppose.
The reception was fun, and there was lots of drunkenness but also sadness (poor Beavs). I made it back to (friend) Sarah's house pretty early and had a fitful night on her five-foot couch.
Back to work! Gah!
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment